Nappies for Belarus

It can sometimes seems unbelievable the amount of actions and events that can happen as a result of Twitter. Only last year a huge foodie festival was organised in Donegal, which simply started with a tweet between a few foodies that were planning on having a dinner at Harry's in Inishowen. This festival soon became known as Inishfood and it will be happening again this May. Another recent event organised as a result of a tweet by Dorcas Barry, is a workshop with the well known and hugely respected American food writer Diane Jacobs. This will be taking place in September and there are details on the IFBA website. 
My most recent account, of something wonderful to happen because of a tweet, was one sent by Kathryn Thomas on Thurs night. It read - "My friend is heading to Belarus in May. They urgently need babies nappies of any kind. Can anyone help? Pick up nationwide no problem". I responded to Kathryn and she forwarded me Jim Kavanagh's number, a gentleman from Co. Kilkenny. I rang Jim on Friday morning and he told me how Adi Roche had been in the Vesnova orphanage in Belarus last week and it turns out that their supplies of disposable nappies are very low. Jim will be driving out there, with a container, in early April and he's hoping to bring with him a good supply of nappies. These people do such amazing work that I really wanted to do something to help.
 I'm planning on getting together some packs of nappies to give to Jim, to bring to Belarus. Any size, any variety or any brand would be brilliant. If anyone would like to donate a packet of nappies, I will have different collection areas, around Moate, set up for the coming fortnight. I'm waiting on some drop off areas to be confirmed, but so far here are some places that I will be collecting from. Once more are confirmed tomorrow I will add them to this list.

Castledaly N.S. - Nappies can be dropped in there this week, up until this Friday 2nd Feb.
Mount Temple Hall - I'll be there on Wed morning 7th March between 9.30 & 11 am.
Tir ná nOg Playschool, Moate - Nappies can be dropped between Tues & Fri 2nd March. 9.15-12.15hrs
Mount Temple N.S. - Nappies can be dropped to the school on Fri 2nd & Mon 5th March.

Jim will collect nappies from anywhere in the country, so if you can organise a few packs contact Jim and he will collect them from you. Just pop me an e-mail at nessasfamilykitchen@gmail.com and I will pass on his number to you.



Update March 2012 - Thank you all who supported this appeal. Together we collected over 7,000 nappies.

0 Comments: