Cold Recovery Remedy

One of my boys remarked to me yesterday "Mammy didn't we get away lightly with the cold this winter". Someone has obviously been listening well to Granddad but of course it is true.  Spring is only around the corner but for the past few weeks little flowers have been emerging from the ground and buds have started to show on trees and plants. Such growth is unusually so early in the year but isn't it so lovely when some colour is reintroduced into the countryside.

Even though the weather is mild there are still many complaining of a cold or if terribly unlucky a flu. Quite often these symptoms don't warrant any doctors intervention but non the less that miserable feeling of a blocked nose, stuffy head and aching bones will often require some home remedies to aid a speedy recovery. When I was young if I ever complained of a sniffle my mother would juice lemons and oranges, add water and simmer with the citrus peels for a couple of minutes. This drink was always fairly bitter so a spoonful of sugar or a squeeze of honey would sort that out. My remedy is based on this drink and even though it won't get rid of your cold it will help to improve some of the symptoms. I have blogged about my home remedy before but many have told me that they have found it useful, so I thought I would share it again with a slightly updated recipe.


Lemons are among a group of super foods and are one of the best foods for boosting the immune system and balancing the body's acid and alkali pH. Like oranges they are high in Vitamin C, which is a powerful anti-oxidant that helps to fight off infections and helps the body to repair cells at times of sickness. It has also been well documented that honey and ginger help the immune system and are recommended for times when you are feeling a little run down. I have plenty of mint growing in the garden and some has actually survived the cold weather so I tend to use it for herbal teas. A few sprigs make a wonderful addition to this drink as mint has the ability to sooth the digestive tract and subsequently ease tummy aches. When you are sick it is always important to keep hydrated so this drink makes the perfect tonic!

Cold Home Remedy

Ingredients
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp honey
1inch knob Ginger, peeled and chopped
4 mint leaves (optional)

Method
1. Juice the orange and lemon into a pint glass.
2. Add the ginger, honey and mint. Top up with boiling water.
3. Allow to sit for a 10 minutes then pass through a sieve for a smooth drink.
4. Taste and add more honey, if required.

I love sourcing different bits & pieces as props for my photos. This Nurses Medical Dictionary is very special to me as it was my mothers. Whenever there was some new ailment in the house she would refer to this little book. My Dad kindly gave me the lone of it for this photo.


4 Comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

I love this recipe, and your photos. My grandmother used to give me a spoonful of lemon juice and honey when I was sick. Even if it isn't a miracle cure, I think it tastes wonderful!
I can't believe you're starting to see flowers already.

cornflakegirl said...

This sounds great, I've a cold brewing at the moment so I'll definitely be giving it a go.

Kristin said...

How lovely is that book? This sounds like a good tonic to chase away the sniffles.

Nessa Robins said...

If you get to try this out ladies I hope you find it useful! Thanks for commenting.