Potato & Chorizo Tortilla

My boys love their school lunches and get so excited when they peep into their box before school and see something they like. Most children are creatures of habit and welcome familiar foods as part of their diet, but I find it is important to vary these items every so often, to keep little ones interested in their lunch. If I am introducing a new snack to the school lunch box I will always try it at home first. Sometimes encouragement is needed when offering something different. If a child won't eat it at home there is little chance of them tucking into it at school.
 For good concentration it is vital to have items in the lunch box that not only leave children full but also nourishes them. There are so many prepared and pre packed lunch box items for sale that are naturally very tempting, as they are so convenient. However there is a price for this convenience, that being the addition of much unnecessary sugar to a child's diet, not to mention how expensive these products prove to be over the year.


A nice alternative to a sandwich or wrap can be quiche or a slice of a Spanish Tortilla. They are equally as good cold as they are hot making them a perfect option for a packed lunch. This recipe makes six slices so it can be made for a mid-week tea and use what ever is leftover for lunch the next day. The main ingredient in Spanish Tortillas are eggs, which makes them a fantastic choice for the school goers. Eggs can be classed as a super food due to their high levels of vitamins and minerals. They are especially high in Iron, which is crucial for a healthy body and mind, it maintains a robust health while encouraging better levels of concentration.
This is one lunchbox snack that my little men love!


Potato & Chorizo Tortilla

Ingredients

25g butter
80g Spanish chorizo sausages, cut into 1cm thick slices or cubes of smoked bacon
4 small potatoes, par-boiled and cut into cubes
1/2 red onion, finely sliced

6 large free-range/organic eggs, slightly beaten together
freshly ground black pepper
50g cheddar cheese, grated




Method
1. Heat a 20cm ovenproof frying pan. Add the butter, and once it's foaming add the chorizo slices, potato cubes and red onion. Toss them around, so as they all become coated with the butter. Fry for about 10 minutes, occasionally stirring.
3. Once everything is lightly golden and crisp, pour over the lightly beaten eggs mixture and seson with a little freshly ground pepper. Then sprinkle over the cheese.
4. Leave the pan on a low heat for 2 minutes, before placing in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, when the tortilla will be cooked through and the cheese will be bubbling.
5. Cut into six and remove from the pan. Eat straight away, with a green salad, or allow to fully cool before packing away for lunch.


Photos & styling by Nessa Robins.
This article featured in the Aug/Sep issue of Easy Parenting.

11 Comments:

Gillian said...

Love love love the old style lunchbox! Great photo ... if only my little one would munch up!

Kristin said...

Amazing photo, Nessa! I'm a fan of Spanish tortillas too, I love how versatile they are.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Nessa, this looks wonderful. My grand kids rely on me to fix lunches on Monday am for them so will try this but how do you wrap it in their lunch boxes to keep intact ?

Amee said...

I'm alway's trying to think of new ideas for my little girl and this is just perfect for her. I will really have to start buying Easy Parenting Magazine instead of Heat Magazine :)

WiseMóna said...

Lovely lovely photo Nessa. I am sure your kids love that little snack. It looks delicious.

Nessa Robins said...

Gillian, eventough my older boys love these sort of snacks my 4yr old certainly wouldn't appreciate this in his lunchbox! But I've hope that'll be start to experiment with new foods soon!!
Thanks Kristin. I spyed that lunchbox in a friends house and borrowed it for the photo.
Donna I just wrap them in greaseproof/parchment paper and then wrap tightly in tin foil. I hope they enjoy it!
Ah Amee, Jordan and Kerry just don't give the auld lunchbox tips like they use to ;)
Thanks Mona. I think something like a tortilla always photographs well as there are so many colours in it.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow..picture perfect..
sounds hearty n delicious..
first time here..love your space..
very interesting recipe collection..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

MissCakeBaker said...

I don't have children but I think I'll make this for my work lunchbox!

Aoife Mc said...

Fabulous! I love tortillas at any time of the day, breakfast lunch and dinner :) Lovely pic too!

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks Jay for following! I'll stop by your blog soon.
I think these would be perfect for your lunchbox, Miss Cake Baker!
Thanks Aoife! They are so versatile and so many different ingredients work really well with them.

Serenacronin said...

Never mind about kiddies, the gang at work would go crazy for this!!!